24 Nov 2009

Them Crooked Vultures: Them Crooked Vultures

Right enough of my geekery...for now - on to some music.

This is the 'debut' (& I use the term very loosely for these guys - it's an epic super-group consisting of Mr John-Paul Jones, Mr Josh Homme & Mr David Grohl, from; Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age & Foo Fighters respectively.


It certainly excited me when I first heard about them a couple months back & even the short minute long Youtube vids they previewed helped.

Their sound is heavy enough to sound like old-fashioned QotSA (the Songs for the Deaf era - which also coincidentally featured Grohl on drums!) but is definitely catchy as well.



They released their album a full week before it was due for general release, on their Youtube channel & there are already 3 stand-out tracks for me - the tracks grow & there are hints of the associated bands (especially the Foo's) & I really would put them at the top (well equal top really) of my must-see-live list! (the other is of course my band of 2008 & 2009 - Silversun Pickups).

I would definitely have a listen to their Youtube version before buying, as I don't necessarily think it will have the universal appeal of say Foo Fighters, but definitely worth a blast. My top tracks are:

Track 1: No One Loves Me & Neither Do I
Track 2: Mind Eraser, No Chaser
Track 5: Elephants
Track 6: Scumbag Blues


Grohl on drums = win

No comments: