6 Feb 2011

Who do you think you are?


So whilst dong some washing up today, my brain switched itself on & I’ve got a couple of ideas for blog posts & I thought why not – something to do on a Sunday avo!

Anyways, I was thinking about some old BBC website articles I read some time ago: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3683260.stm & http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/05/technology_online_gamers_unmasked/html/1.stm & was contemplating the whole subject of online profiles of people & how this both does & does not represent the offline individual.

So for some time now I have been using the online tag of Pikachuind – I use it for my Xbox Live profile, Twitter, Gmail, & even this blog & even though my actual name is also associated with these profiles, my online presence dissociates with this & becomes something totally different.

Offline I am a software support technician, a drive, a cyclist & have a wonderful fiancée. But online, on Xbox Live for example, I’m a bit of a psychopath who likes to use frag-grenades, claymores, C4 & a Famas or WA2000 (with an ACOG sight naturally) to exact my revenge on numerous enemies!! :D

So there is something to be said for contemplating how you present yourself online. Here are a few thoughts from me:

Do you exist online?
Are you true to yourself online?
What do other people think about you online?
If you use an alias, is this appropriate to your personality?
 

Further Reading: